Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Same Love

This post might be a little behind the times but better late than never right? Tomorrow is the last day of this term that the Supreme Court can rule out Prop 8, meaning tomorrow could be a historic day for the LGBT community. Of course, we wouldn't know that because the news is consumed with Edward Snowden, who did what I wish more people in the universe would do. But my opinions about whistleblowers are an entirely different matter and I'd prefer to get stoned for those opinions later..... Or never... Please? But for now, let's focus on the issue of gay marriage.

I support gay marriage. Or rather, I think the government shouldn't dictate what marriage is and make any form of marriage illegal. But let's just come back to reality where the government does have to get involved in everything.... Yes, I do support gay marriage. I believe that one person should not be denied happiness simply because their idea of happiness is something strange and foreign to others. How do we have any right to tell the LGBT community that they can't get married if nearly half of all "normal" marriages end in divorce? Sounds like we don't have any clue what we're doing either right?

Now to the LDS members that are currently putting a copy of The Proclamation to the World in an envelope and furiously scribbling my address on the front, let me say that I agree with all my heart that families were designed of eternal and divine order, with one man and one woman working together to raise a family. That being said, I know the Lord is over all things. I believe he can fix anything and put ANYTHING back to its most perfect form in the end. There's a lot that I don't know about this issue and I'm mature enough to admit I'm not all-knowing. I don't know why God creates people with different preferences, yet our church doesn't allow homosexual BEHAVIOR (not people) in the church. And guess what? That's not something any of us need to worry about. Because He's freaking GOD!!! And he has a much better idea of how to run a universe then we do. If God decides later that the church will accept the LGBT lifestyle into the church, then awesome. If God decides that it's still not ok, then he will deal with those that have engaged in that lifestyle in the most loving and merciful way that God decides to handle it. I refuse to believe that God would create people that he would hate for all of their existences. I refuse to believe that God would create people with the intention of forbidding them to be happy. That's not the type of God I believe in. I believe that if an LGBT person decides that he wants to go forward with this different lifestyle and that he honestly feels that this decision is right for him, God will be right there full of support and love.

I hope this posts makes sense to you. I want you to know that I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true and I know that without a doubt. In knowing that, I also know that I am entitled to agency and the ability to have my own opinion and voice. I don't quite see eye to eye on this doctrine of the church because I believe the LGBT community shouldn't be sentenced to a life of misery and unhappiness if they want to be part of this church. I do believe that the family is ordained of God and I love my own family with everything that I am. I just know that this world may not be perfect now but God can make it perfect in a way that will make everyone happy. I don't know how he's going to but I know it will blow our minds when it happens. For now, I believe no one should be stopped in their pursuit of true happiness. I support gay marriage.

I now give you permission to come stand in front of my window with your knives and pitchforks. Or some self-help pamphlets. Cookies would be nice too but hey, this is your party. What I do ask is that if you're going to be hateful, go post it somewhere else where I'm not going to see it.

Thanks lovelies! Loving and intelligent opinions are welcome.




2 comments:

  1. Caylin, I freaking love you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God did create our bodies but we were who we are (intelligences) before god ever made us, and we all had the opportunity to grow and develop in the premortal life. So god may have allowed us to be what we are but he didn't make us that, and while i may disagreee with some of your logic, i don't disagree with your conclusion, at least on principal. My only real consideration is adoption, i don't really want gay couples to be able to adopt ahead of straight couples in line for adoption, maybe i'm bias but it just bothers me. Also i wish the church didn't have to shut down their adoption agency.

    ReplyDelete