Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Round and Round, I Won't Run Away This Time, If You Show Me What This Life Is For

So there's been a lot of stories on news sites lately comparing Superman to Christ (Just one example). Some Christian churches are even being asked to reference these similarities by movie marketers. (Can we all just take a minute to admire how superbly high tech I am? I posted links to other websites in my blog! Fancy! ;) ) This is my take on that because I did notice some kind of spiritual message about the Man of Steel.

While I can see the similarities from Superman to Christ, I'd like to think of Christ as a little more perfect than that. Yes, Superman was played by Henry Cavill, who looks like his face was sculpted by angels and his flawless frame may have made my brain go a little fuzzy when he took his shirt off ;) BUT I'd like to think that Superman represents us as individuals. In the movie, Clark talks to his father that raises him on Earth, questioning if he came from God or somebody else. His father says that he knew Clark had a father out there somewhere and sent Clark to Earth for a great purpose. He says "I have to believe that you were sent here for a reason. And even if it takes the rest of your life, you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is."

I don't think I have to talk about a father from an outside universe that sent us to Earth and compare that to our own lives. I'm pretty sure you know where I would go with that ;) But Clark's father says we have to find out the reason we were sent to Earth by this father. If you ask any typical Primary kid why we were sent to earth, he would probably spit out an answer memorized word for word from the teaching manual. Something along the lines of to become like God and to get a body. But wouldn't you think you could do that anywhere in the world and at anytime in the history of the world? Couldn't you learn how to be a god as a caveman building fires just as much as a truck driver in the 21st century? Does it really matter when or how we gain this knowledge? To Clark's father it is. In fact, it truly makes a huge difference.

This is a pretty pivotal moment in my life, the time when wondering what your purpose is is really affecting your every decision. Is it really my purpose in life to become an auditor? Is it really my purpose in life to spend half of my life folding stacks of clothes at the Gap only to have them obliterated in a matter of seconds by overexcited women or stupid little boys? Is it really my purpose in life to be the girlfriend to a missionary, someone who I only hear from twice a week and I won't see for two years? Sometimes it's deeper questions than that. Is it really my purpose to be an example to three little brothers when I'm so far from perfect myself? Is it really my purpose to have broken a best friend's heart and break me into pieces along the way? Is it really my purpose to live in a time so full of challenges and temptations when I am such a weak individual myself?  Fortunately and unfortunately, it is. I really do have a lot of purposes in life, whether it's for building others and myself up or breaking others and myself down. And I'll discover plenty more purposes in life as the days and years go by. I don't necessarily owe it to myself to discover these reasons but I do owe it to the father that thought it was necessary to send me to this exact place at this exact time with these specific people. Because he apparently knows I need to be here for something. The crazy thing is in the grand scheme of things, all of these purposes are for the best. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? No matter what your purpose is, no matter if it's detrimental or beneficial, it shapes and molds yourself and others into the person you were designed to become. That is the beautiful reason of our existence: To shape ourselves into perfect people through the little purposes of other people and different experiences.

So go see this freaking movie!! It was fantastically written, Henry Cavill is a hottie, and it's just plain outstanding :) Look out for your purposes and make sure you fulfill them to the best of your abilities. Happy Tuesday darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment