Sunday, July 7, 2013

Guess What? I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOOOOOOOOOOOOUU!!!

I'm currently writing this outside on my patio as I enjoy the 85 degree weather versus the 100+, hotter than fried hell heat we've been having this week. LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEE!!!!

Today's post might seem a little disjointed but I hope you can see the connection to the two ideas I've been having lately. First off, I got to go see my great-grandpa Judd in the hospital today. He fell down and broke his hip about a week ago and he had to go through surgery. When we arrived at the care center, I was totally taken aback by how many people were visiting. My grandparents were there and my great grandma was there with her daughter and grandsons (I'm related to this family through marriage so  I don't really know the name of our connection...). The tiny hospital room was full of laughing, smiling individuals and my great-grandpa laid on his bed watching us with a small smile on his tired face and love in his eyes.

Ever since my family moved to Utah, I've developed a deeper love and deeper connection with this side of my family. But as I was in this room with these relatives that I barely knew, I realized that these people have loved me since the day we were brought into their family. But why? These people don't know me, they don't know what I've done in my life, yet they still smile at me with the deepest love I've ever felt. This is unconditional love, the type of Christ-like love that isn't swayed by words or actions, no matter how terrible they might be. I never thought people could fully be capable of this type of love in this life, but this sweet family has taught me otherwise.

Our lesson in Sunday School was about pride and the teacher showed the This is Water video. Watch it if you haven't seen it yet!! This video really stuck out to me when I first watched it. This summer has been spent working long weeks at two retail jobs and I come home exhausted dealing with stupid customers all day. It can be infuriating working so much in such a busy environment and you have the people that feel the need to take their petty frustrations out on you in their rudeness and other forms of douchebaggery. Speaking as "the voice of death" the video talks about, I come home pretty fed up with the way I'm treated every day. But this video has really helped me to stop for a moment and think about the other person who is committing said douchebaggery (that word is just to great not to use again). Maybe they've come from a long day at work and just want to get home. Maybe their family is struggling financially or they've recently experienced a tragedy at home. Maybe they're in a hurry and don't know how to control their panic in a social setting. This is in no way an easy way to think and as the video says, I just can't do it sometimes. But it's a good thing to strive for and constantly work at little bits at a time.

Now my attempt to connect the two ideas. Like I've said before, I have grown to really become fed up with people in general. It's really made me kind of hard-hearted. But in my experience today with my family and with re-watching this video, I realized that there is always something I can do to change this. My great-grandma is the most loving person I know, in the hospital today on her way to get water, she stopped by in the rooms of lonely patients to ask how they were doing. She has this unconditional love for EVERYONE, no matter their story, no matter how well she knows them, nothing could sway her from loving them. I'm positive that was something that didn't come easily. I'm sure some days she just couldn't feel any type of love for the people around her. But over time, she's become the greatest example of unconditional love that I know.

I guess my message for today is that feeling towards your fellow men is always something that you can work towards. And as I've said before, sometimes you might not be able to do it. But you will forever be miserable if you live in the default setting of thinking people around you are stupid and exist merely to make your life as difficult as possible. Step out of the default, try to be more compassionate, and always strive to have unconditional love as natural to your day as breathing. I don't believe this perfect love is something you can fully obtain, at least in this life, but it's always something you can pursue, it's always something you can be better at.

Enjoy your week crazies!

No comments:

Post a Comment