Wednesday, July 31, 2013

And It's Hard To Dance With The Devil On Your Back So Shake Him Off

It's always nice to gain a different perspective isn't it? I was working at Hobby Lobby today unloading shipment in the floral department with the charming department head Kitty. We were talking about another woman that worked that department a lot named Sara. She is the BIGGEST sweetheart you could ever imagine. Always smiling, always helpful, always kind, and ALWAYS cheerful. Kitty told me that Sara actually was going through a really hard time because she was raising her sons and husband on her part time job at Hobby Lobby. Which is $2 higher than minimum wage but it certainly doesn't make my wallet throw fiestas on the daily. I was absolutely shocked to hear this. How could someone hide such a difficult life with such ease? Kitty then said "It's situations like that that make you realize that someone always has it harder than you do, no matter what you're going through."

That really hit me hard today. I've been pretty whiny lately, even on Facebook which is something I never do. And I am completely ashamed of that now. This is what I've pondered on today and I sincerely hope I don't complain on Facebook like I have been lately. This is my permission to punch me in the face if I do.

First, that being stressed only means you have opportunities. It's true that I have been very stressed lately. With school coming up, apartment hunting being a failure beyond words, and work weeks that stretch to 60 hours, my tolerance for life in general is very low. But this stress is a beautiful blessing because it means that I have opportunities, doors that are open to me, options that I can explore, different routes that I can take. This stress means that I am free to choose where I want to go and what I want to do. With work, this stress means that I have the opportunity to make the situation a positive one or merely let it run me over. With school, it means that I have the opportunity to try things I never would have dreamed of doing. With apartment hunting, it means that I have the opportunity to meet new people and learn the simple truths of life in a very real setting. Stress means opportunities.

Which leads me to my next point, it's ok to be stressed and even fed up with life, but it is never ok to be ungrateful about your situation. Because despite the fact that life is hard, it's always harder when you don't have those doors open to you. Being worked to death is really starting to take its toll but I am very richly blessed to have not just one, but two outstanding jobs with very honest and friendly coworkers. Constantly being shut down on apartments is beyond disheartening but it's amazing I've had the opportunity to even save up for somewhere to live. There are always chances for you to improve your own situation. ALWAYS. Even if it's just a little bit at a time, there is always something you can do to make a difference in your life. Maybe it's as complex as rethinking the direction you're heading in life now. Maybe it's as simple as changing your perspective. Whatever the change, be grateful for opportunities, failures, and successes.

Ok lovelies, I'm getting eaten to pieces by mosquitoes out here. Hopefully that helped changed your perspective on whatever is irking you in life. It's something we hear a lot, I know at least for me that it's something I need to be reminded on a lot.

Oh, and this video is worth all 6 minutes. I promise ;)


















No comments:

Post a Comment