Saturday, May 18, 2013

In The Pursuit of Happyness

Today's blog post comes from the outstanding movie Pursuit of Happyness, which did in fact make me cry for 3/4 of the movie. The one little part of the movie I got to watch on my break at work was after Will Smith gets his internship position and he's walking with his son to sell the bone density scanners. His son turns to his dad and says "There was a man who was drowning, and a boat came, and the man on the boat said "Do you need help?" and the man said "God will save me". Then another boat came and he tried to help him, but he said "God will save me", then he drowned and went to Heaven. Then the man told God, "God, why didn't you save me?" and God said "I sent you two boats, you dummy!" That quote is blown over pretty quickly in the movie but it's actually pretty significant. And it really stood out to me. Has God sent me boats while I've been refusing to climb aboard?

This is kind of embarrassing to admit but I've been pretty angry with the world lately. Sometimes I feel like that man who is drowning and begging for a sign, a savior. But what I haven't realized is that I'm not begging for just any savior, I'm begging for the savior I want. The guy in the story probably wanted God to drop out of heaven and pick him right off the waves. I don't necessarily wanted to be picked up out of my problems (but if you're offering, heck freaking yes!). But I have my own expectations for what I want as my saving grace. And it's definitely not something as simple and unglamorous as a boat.

That quote got me thinking, what if there are boats sailing by that are sent from God and I keep refusing that help? What if I feel like I'm drowning because I'm too prideful to accept help from the best source out there, simply because it's not in the form I want it to be? God gives me the boats I need, not the cruise ships I want. Sitting here typing, I can already think of many boats I've let sail past with climbing aboard. My family, my close friends, my boyfriend, and that's just the beginning. Sure, I might have held on the rims of the boat for a little while but I end up loosening my grip and falling back into the depths.


Take some time to look out for those boats that might be able to save you when you're in trouble. And beyond that, take some time to actually climb on and stop unnecessarily in the ocean we call life. Hop on the boat and enjoy the beauty of the world from the safety of the saviors God knows you might not want, but so desperately need.


Please enjoy this outstanding song about the woes of an obsessed stalker and have a lovely weekend :)


No comments:

Post a Comment