Thursday, January 3, 2013

I'll Be Home For Christmas: The Story of Christmas Miracles

I can't freaking believe Christmas Break is already almost over!! As I look back on it, I was truly blessed this holiday season. Pretty much everything possible happened: heart-stopping advice that crushed my dreams for the future, heart-stopping promises in a blessing that fueled my dreams, Christmas miracles that changed the lives of dozens of people, Christmas miracles that ended relationships on a comfortable note, seeing dear friends near in Lehi, seeing dear friends far in Monroe, closing doors and opening new ones. Oh, and some good old fashioned romance ;) Oh, and I fell in love with David Bowie. True story. All in all, it was a truly rewarding break, one that I will always treasure and remember.

I can't go through this post without posting about the Christmas miracle of my friend Sam's baptism. Sam and I have been friends since the awkward days of sixth grade when I had an afro and it was cool to play the flute (ha...ha...ha). She didn't find out I was a member until much later when I introduced her to the "cool Mormon kids" and we took her to a stake dance. Stake dances led to youth conferences which led to church and firesides and I was really excited for where the future would take her. Unfortunately, her parents didn't want her to be baptized and I moved away from Seattle wondering if that was the end of the road. Sam is truly one of the strongest people I know though. She continued to attend church and church activities (with three different wards nonetheless) and her parents finally gave her permission to be baptized two and a half years later. Her baptism was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, I am truly overjoyed that Sam now has the companionship of the Holy Ghost in her life. I am so proud of her for becoming a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I know that she will forever be richly blessed for her decisions.

One of the most amazing aspects of this story is how simply it all started: An awkward stake dance where my insane group of friends was usually the only people dancing. Yet it was the example and spirit that each individual of the church had on Sam that brought her to the gospel. Never ever ever doubt your worth and your impact on the universe. I never thought when I was 14 years old that bringing Sam to the dances would bring anything more than hilarious stories of guys that we danced with (stories that we still giggle hysterically about to this day =D) but it ended up being the door to something wonderful. It really is by the small and simple things that great things happen.

I'm sorry if you were looking for something witty and hilarious in this post. Sadly, I don't have much to post about in that department. But hey, here's a funny thing: I went to the mall last night and as I was stopped at a red light, I saw this old man standing on the sidewalk. As I looked more closely at him, I almost died at the realization that this guy had a tampon sticking out of his nose. Picture that scene in She's The Man with Channing Tatum (drool) and the tampon in his nose when he had that nosebleed. Then replace Mr. Sexy Pants with your grandpa and you've got the image I saw. Apparently the light had turned green as I stared at this man because he gave me the biggest smile you've ever seen and pointed exuberantly at the light, tampon still firmly in his nostril. I was still giggling like a little girl for about five minutes after this happened. You know you have a sad life if that was the best part of your day =D Hopefully that satisfied your needs for cleverness enough!!

Have a lovely weekend!!



No comments:

Post a Comment