Sunday, June 8, 2014

Kill and Run

To fight or take flight.

Life for me lately has been a lot about choosing battles. What am I going to choose to fight against today. What am I going to choose to let slide. What am I going to choose to simply walk away from.

Until the only battles you have left are the ones you can't fight off or flee from easily.

In my psychology class, we talked a lot about this fight-and-flight response. Though this physiological response came about in the good old days when we humans were regularly fighting off mammoths and saber tooth tigers, it is still very much present in our own lives with different stressors. Work. School. Family. Relationships. Associations. Accidents. Deadlines. Commitments. Dreams. Everything. But the difference now is that we can't respond the way that our mind wants us to anymore. We can't just punch our boss when he becomes aggressive. We can't just walk away from schoolwork because it got too hard for us to handle. We can't turn down assignments and responsibilities because it's too overwhelming to handle. We can't simply fight or take flight.

How dearly I miss the days when it was so easy to let things go. When there were so many fewer consequences. When there was so much time to use. When there was no one who depended on you. When there was a clear enemy and a clear mission to fulfill. When there were so many resources in front of you. When there were fewer questions and more answers. When there were always other options.

I'm so tired of fighting. I wish I could just take flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment