Monday, March 10, 2014

Fake Empire

I never realized how much I hate social networking sites until this weekend.

It's seriously alarming to me the impressions people have about me simply by what I put on my Facebook. Which is pretty bizarre because I feel like all I've posted lately is a lot of Macklemore pictures and snarky comments about idiot customers. I use to think that it was only a handful of people that even pay attention to my posts. But after going back to the town were I grew up after not talking to some people for years, there were a lot of strange misconceptions people thought, simply by what I posted on my Facebook.

Believe it or not, I don't go out and party a lot.

In fact, I'm pretty much one of the most boring people ever.

Believe it or not, I'm not a heartbreaker on the prowl for more lives to ruin.

In fact, I have a heart that gets broken too.

Believe it or not, I didn't leave BYU because I'm rebellious.

In fact, I left BYU because I feel that it was an emotionally destructive environment for me.

Believe it or not, thinking that Mitt Romney is cuckoo for Cocoa-Puffs does not mean you're an Obama lover.

In fact, I think both parties are cuckoo for Cocoa-Puffs and voting nowadays is determining which Cocoa Puffs you can tolerate.

Believe it or not, just because I'm not following your fairy tale of a life plan does not mean I'm a screw-up.

In fact, I feel more on track in life than ever before.

Believe it or not, just because I'm not married does not mean I behind in life.

In fact, it probably means I'm a little more sane. And honestly, I'm not 100% sure if I've moved past the stage in my life when I think that boys are gross.


Hello readers, here's my re-introduction. I like rainy nights, Netflix dates, turquoise things, pretty rings, loud music, long socks, happy endings, and starry skies. I'm sweet, sassy, and witty. I work hard and take most things too seriously. Every decision I make requires endless amounts of decision, doubts, and deliberations. If I make a choice, it's only after I know it's perfectly right. I don't enjoy being spontaneous unless it's strictly organized and regulated spontaneity. Music speaks to my soul, whether my soul is aching or full of joy, and I love experiencing this music live. Sometimes I wish my heart was warmer, sometimes I wish I didn't care so much. One of my biggest fears is missing opportunities I could have taken and excelled at.

It's funny how much of our day-to-day lives we invest in being on social networking outlets, yet how little of our real lives we put on them. Perhaps this is a good thing, as most of my Facebook wall would consist of countless links to Britney Spears music or endless pictures of my bottomless Kool-Aid glass next to my bottomless pile of homework. I wish this wasn't such an issue but I'm definitely going to be more selective of what I post and who I share things with. However, I can assure you that my snarkiness and charm will never die. Deepest apologies.






No comments:

Post a Comment